Ireland Dependent/Partner/Spouse Employment Permit

The Irish Dependent/Partner/Spouse Employment Permit allows the family members of certain Irish work permit holders to live and work in Ireland. 

A spouse or de facto partner will be granted permission when they register with the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS). Other dependents must apply for an employment permit.

You must be an eligible spouse or de facto partner of one of the following:

  • A person with a Critical Skills Employment Permit (CSEP)
  • A researcher under a Hosting Agreement (provided for in Directive 2005/71/EC)

There is no fee for Dependant/Partner/Spouse Employment Permit applications or renewals.

Length of stay

As applicants for the Dependent/Partner/Spouse Employment Permit must have a spouse or other family member already living in Ireland on an Irish employment permit this visa is usually issued up until the expiry date of the original permit holder's visa.

After 5 years on any work permit immigrants may apply for long term residence in Ireland.

Job offer

The migrant worker must have an existing job offer in Ireland before applying for this visa, and must have all the appropriate skills, experience, and qualifications for the role. Either the worker or the employer can apply for this visa. If the employer applies then they must plan to employ and pay the migrant worker directly; meaning employment agencies and the like cannot apply for a General Employment Permit.

The job offered must be for a minimum of 10 hours per week, and just pay at least Ireland's national minimum wage.

Holders of this visa must stay with their initial employer for a minimum of one year, except in exceptional circumstances.

Eligibility requirements

In order to be eligible for an Irish Dependent/Partner/Spouse Employment Permit applicants must meet the following criteria:

  • Must be married, in a civil partnership with, or an unmarried child under the age of 18 of a holder of one of the following Irish visas:

    • Critical Skills Employment Permit

    • Green Card Permit

    • Employment Permit or Hosting Agreement for a researcher position

    • People who previously held one of the above but now have permission to live and work in Ireland without them

    • Have resided in Ireland on a continual basis since arrival

    • Dependents must not be in full-time education

Further Information, help, and advice has over twenty years of experience helping people immigrate to countries all over the World. Whether you wish to visit, work, study, or do business in Ireland our specialist team of immigration experts can help you with one to one advice, information, and representation when applying for your Irish visa or work permit.

For more information and advice on Irish immigration law and Ireland visa applications please contact us on 0344 991 9222 or at