Call for paid service +44 (0)344-991-9222

Who needs a work permit?

EEA nationals

Spain opened its borders for workers from all European Economic Area (EEA) countries – apart from Croatia – in spring 2006. Therefore nationals of these countries will not need a work permit or visa to live and work in Spain. However, EAA nationals must register with the Spanish authorities and receive a national identity number in order to enter into a legal employment contract, alongside several other benefits.

Croatian nationals are subject to the same rules as non-EEA nationals listed below.

Non-EEA nationals

Non-EEA nationals who wish to work in Spain must obtain a work permit. They must also obtain a visa before travelling to work in Spain.

Previous section: Types of work permit

Next section: How long will it take to get an employee on site with an Spanish work permit?