Call for paid service +44 (0)344-991-9222

Gap Year Employment in UK

The Home Office has announced a scheme under which non-EU/EEA nationals can come to the UK to take up work in schools during their gap year (the year between finishing secondary school and commencing University studies).

If you meet the following conditions, you can come to the UK to work in a school as a gap-year entrant:

  • you must be either 18 or 19 years old
  • you must have completed secondary education less than 12 months ago
  • you must have been unconditionally accepted on a degree course outside of the UK that will start after you depart the UK
  • you must have a written offer of employment as a teacher or teacher's assistant in any school in the United Kingdom for three consecutive academic terms
  • you must intend to take up this offer of employment, and not take up any other employment in the UK
  • you must show that you have sufficient funds to pay for your return or onward journey
  • you must show that you will not need use public funds
  • you must show that you intend to leave the UK at the end of your stay and take up your place at university overseas

As a gap year entrant you can remain in the UK for a maximum of 12 months.

The position offered to you as a teacher or teaching assistant must involve you directly in the teaching process in the classroom, and some administrative work within the school is also authorised.

Applicants will need to apply for entry clearance at a British Embassy or High Commission in your normal country of residence before being admitted to the UK as a gap year student.

This visa can not be extended.