Servants of diplomats in UK can apply for permanent residence

On 23 January 2009 the UK Border Agency announced changes to the treatment of application for private servants in diplomatic households. This follows a commitment by Ministers that private servants will still be able to apply for settlement (indefinite leave to remain) under the new Tier 5 of the points system at the end of five years.

Private servants in diplomatic households working in the UK on or before 26 November 2008.

Previously, transitional arrangements were put in place for private servants in this category. Applications approved were eligible for a one-off grant of leave to remain of up to five years. Normally you can apply for permanent residence at the end of five years.

So that as many people as possible have an opportunity to apply under the transitional arrangements, the UK BA will continue exceptionally to accept applications under these arrangements for a further 18 months, until 26 May 2010.

New applications for private servants to come to the UK

Following changes that came into force on 27 November 2008, new private servants in diplomatic households applying for entry to the UK must come under the tier 5 temporary worker - international agreement sub-category of the new points-based system.

Private servants may be granted further extensions to stay in the UK for periods of up to 12 months at a time, up to a total of six years. They will also be eligible to apply for settlement at the end of five years. This will be reflected in the immigration rules at the next formal change in March 2009.