Tier 1 Post Study Work: Extending your visa and settling in the UK

Support migrant centric journalism today and donate

Many post-study workers used to move on to a Tier 1 (General) visa after their period under a Tier 1 Post Study Work (PSW) visa ended. Now that Tier 1 (General) has been withdrawn, a lot of people in the medical and IT sectors have been asking us how to extend their stays in the UK.

The short answer is that it helps a lot to find the right employer quickly. If you work with an employer for at least six months, it can be easier for them to sponsor you for a Tier 2 (General) visa.

While some employers may not want to sponsor you under a Tier 2 (General) visa, there are many who will and workpermit.com works with the some of the best.

Some of our partners include consultancies that are prepared to sponsor staff working on client projects, so if you can command about GBP 250 plus per day on a contract consulting basis, this can be a great way to start.

If you are in a Tier 1 PSW visa and have identified a client, send us your CV and details of this assignment and we will help you take the next step.

After you get Tier 2 status, you may be eligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain (permanent residence) in five years.

It's a long journey, so it is best to start as soon as possible!