UK English Language test for spouses and partners to be introduced

Support migrant centric journalism today and donate

If you wish to join or marry your British citizen spouse or a permanent resident in the UK you will from 29 November 2010 need to pass an English language test with an approved test provider.

If you are not an EU citizen you will need to show that you can speak and understand English if you wish to apply under one of the following categories to join your spouse or partner in the UK:

  • Husband or wife
  • Civil Partner
  • Unmarried Partner
  • Same-sex Partner
  • Fiance/e
  • Proposed Civil Partner

Immigration Minister Damian Green had the following to say:

"Speaking English promotes integration into British society and broadens opportunities. The new rules will help ensure that migrant spouses are able to participate in British life from the outset and integrate more easily into wider UK society".

If you wish to come under the current immigration rules you will need to apply in the next four months. From 29 November 2010 you will have to pay for and pass an English test to gain entry as a spouse or partner.