US immigration program allows immigrants to check their employment eligibility status

Support migrant centric journalism today and donate

US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced this week that Self Check, a free online service which is part of the E-Verify system and allows workers to check their own employment eligibility status, is now available in all 50 states. Along with all 50 states, it is also available in Washington, D.C., and the US territories of Guam, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands.

The Self Check program was initially launched in March 2011 by Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano and USCIS Director Alejandro Mayorkas. Over the past year, it has expanded to become available in the entire US. The government completed their national expansion of the program one month earlier than planned; They originally estimated it would be available in all 50 states only by March 2012.

"We are pleased to complete, ahead of schedule, our expansion of this important tool for employees," said Mayorkas. "Since our initial launch in March, approximately 67,000 people have used Self Check and we anticipate that participation will dramatically increase with service now available to individuals across the country."

Self Check was created so immigrants could check their own employment eligibility status. Additionally, the program gives guidance on how to correct your DHS and Social Security records. The program, which is available in English and Spanish, requires the following information to verify your status:
  • Your name, date of birth, and address.
  • You will need to answer demographic and/or financial related questions. These questions could include information about past addresses, banks that you may have had dealings with, etc. This information is needed before you can continue with the Self Check process. The government will not keep records of which questions were asked or how these questions were answered.
  • Information that will prove your eligibility to work in the United States. This will include your Social Security number and, based on your citizenship status and documentation, information such as your Alien Registration Number, document number, or I-94 Number.
If you would like to apply for a US visa, can help. is a specialist visa consultancy with over twenty years of experience dealing with visa applications. We can help with a wide range of visa applications to your country of choice. Please feel free to contact us for further details.