From 1 January 2010, you will need to have your skills assessed by the relevant assessing authority as suitable for your nominated skilled occupation to apply for the following visa categories:
- Skilled – Independent (Subclass 885)
- Skilled – Sponsored (Subclass 886)
- Skilled - Regional Sponsored (Subclass 487) visa.
The Australian Government feels that these changes will result in applicants who are available to work in Australia more quickly. It is also felt that it will lead to greater consistency in the standard of skills and competencies across migrants in trade occupations.
In addition you will need to show at least twelve months experience in the last twenty-four months in your nominated skilled occupation if you wish to come under the following visa categories:
- Skilled – Independent (Subclass 175)
- Skilled – Sponsored (Subclass 176)
- Skilled - Regional Sponsored (Subclass 475) visa