Do you want an Australian skilled independent 189 visa? We can help!

Support migrant centric journalism today and donate

Australia is world-famous for its high standard of living. It is known as 'the lucky country' and was one of the few developed countries to survive the global economic slowdown which began in 2007 largely unscathed. If you would like to go and live there, we can help.

Australia accepts about 200,000 new permanent residents annually through its permanent migration programme and also welcomes about 100,000 skilled foreign workers each year as temporary workers under the '457' temporary work visa.

Many workers who want to move to Australia will need to have a job offer in Australia in order to apply but the Skilled Independent (Subclass 189) visa is for workers who want to come to Australia without being sponsored (whether by an employer, a state or territory or by a family member) and without an offer of work. If you are a skilled worker, read on and see if this could be the visa for you.

189 visa allows you to work anywhere in Australia

A 189 visa allows its holder to live and work anywhere in Australia. You can apply for a 189 visa anywhere in the world, including from within Australia.

Since 2012, Australia has operated an 'expression of interest' (EOI) visa system. This means that you can only apply for a visa if invited to do so by the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC). To be able to submit your expression of interest you will need to have had a skills assessment and will need to provide other details about yourself.

To be eligible for the visa you must

  • Be under 50 years old
  • Be skilled in an occupation which is on the Australian Skilled Occupation List (SOL). This is a list of occupations in which Australia has a shortage of trained or qualified workers. It includes many types of engineers, medical workers, accountants, lawyers as well as many trades such as joiners and plasterers.
  • Have your skills assessed by the Australian Assessing Authority for your occupation. You must also find out if your skilled occupation requires you to join a professional organisation or trade body
  • Be able to use English at least to a 'competent' level. Those that come from English speaking countries (the UK, the US, Canada, Ireland and New Zealand) will be considered to meet this threshold automatically. Others will have to take an English test.
  • Be in passable health. You may be required to undergo a medical examination.
  • Meet the Australian government's good character requirements

You must complete English Language Test and Skills Assessment before applying

Please note that you must have completed your English language test and your skills assessment before you submit your EOI. You may also need to register with the professional or trade organisation for your occupation in the state or territory where you intend to live.

If you are eligible and have obtained your skills assessment, then you can apply for a 189 visa. The first step is to submit an 'Expression of Interest (EOI) to The Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC). DIAC will then assess you according to the claims you make about your abilities. If you are considered to be suitable, DIAC will invite you to apply for a visa.

When you submit your application, DIAC will assess you using the Australian points assessment system. You must score at least 60 points to be successful.

Points are awarded for the following

  • Age. If you are aged 18-24 you will score 25 points. At 40-44, this drops to 15 points
  • English language ability. You will score 20 points for superior and 10 for proficient English
  • Overseas employment. Between 5 and 15 points
  • Employment in Australia. Between 5 and 20 points
  • 'Professional year' If you have completed one year's work in your chosen skilled occupation in Australia in the four years before you apply, you will gain 5 points
  • You will score 20 points for a doctorate from an Australian educational institution. You will get 15 points for a bachelor's degree and 20 points for a trade qualification
  • You will receive 5 points for Australian study
  • You will receive 5 points for living and studying in Regional Australia and
  • You will receive 5 points if your partner satisfies certain basic requirements
You will be required to take a medical test including a chest x-ray and an HIV test.

You must send all necessary documents with your application

IAC says 'It is important that you lodge your Points Based Skilled Migration application with all the documents necessary to assess your application. Lodging a complete application assists case officers in making a fair and complete assessment of your claims and results in faster processing times'.

So you might like to consider using an agent to help. DIAC strongly suggests that you should only use an agent registered with the Australian Migration Agent Registration Authority (MARA). At, we have an in-house MARA-registered agent who knows the SkillSelect process and can help you get all your documentation in place first time.

Why not give us a call today and we can get your application under way. Call our London office on +44 (0)344 991 9222 or our Indian office on +91 011-45660800 or email us at We have 25 years' experience in the immigration business and have helped thousands of people to move internationally.