The new citizenship test for those who wish to become Australian citizens starts today. The twenty multiple choice questions is no easier than the previous test. The Australian Government says that it is fairer; Each question is given equal weight.
Some areas covered in the test are as follows:
- Australia's democratic beliefs, laws and government.
- The responsibilities and privileges of citizenship.
- Australian History and Culture.
The Australian Immigration Department in their news report have given ten example questions from the citizenship test resource book Australian Citizenship: Our Common Bond:
1. What do we remember on Anzac Day?
- The landing of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps at Gallipoli
- The arrival of the first free settlers from Britain
- The landing of the First Fleet at Sydney Cove
2. What are the colours of the Australian Aboriginal Flag?
- Black, red and yellow
- Green, white and black
- Blue, white and green
3. Which official symbol of Australia identifies Commonwealth property?
- The national anthem
- Australia's national flower
- Commonwealth Coat of Arms
4. Which of these is an example of freedom of speech?
- Newspapers can write about any topic
- Men and women are treated equally in a court of law
- Australians are free to not follow a religion
5. Which of these is a responsibility of Australian citizens aged 18 years or over?
- To attend local council meetings
- To vote in elections
- To have a current Australian passport
6. Which of these statements about passports is correct?
- Australian citizens can apply for an Australian passport
- Permanent residents can hold an Australian passport
- Australian citizens need a passport and visa to return to Australia
7. What happened in Australia on 1 January 1901?
- The Australian Constitution was changed by a referendum
- The Australian Constitution came into effect
- The Australian and New Zealand Army Corps was formed
8. What is the name of the legal document that sets out the rules for the government of Australia?
- The Australian Federation
- The Australian Commonwealth
- The Australian Constitution
9. Which of these is a role of the Governor-General?
- The appointment of state premiers
- The signing of Bills passed by the Australian Parliament
- The appointment of the Head of State
10. Which of these statements about state governments is correct?
- All states have the same constitution
- Each state has its own constitution
- The states have no constitution
Answers: 1a, 2a, 3c, 4a, 5b, 6a, 7b, 8c, 9b, 10b