The lists that contain the occupations where there are immediate andlong-term shortages of skilled workers were released today by theDepartment of Labor (Workforce). The Long Term Skill Shortage List(formerly the Priority Occupations List (POL)) and the Immediate SkillShortage List (formerly the Occupational Shortages List (OSL)) are theresult of consultation with Government agencies, industry trainingorganizations (ITOs) and unions.
Long Term Skill Shortage List (formerly the Priority Occupations List (POL))
- Civil Engineering has been expanded to be called ProfessionalEngineers which will include Roading, Design, Structural, Mechanical,Geotechnical, Electronic, Project, Transport/Traffic, Fire, Civil, andEnvironmental engineers, and the qualifications requirements for theseoccupations have been amended.
- The skills list for Information Communications Technology (ICT) has been amended to reflect actual skill shortages.
- Orchard Managers, Agronomist/Crop Production Managers and GrowerManagers, and Automotive Electricians, Fitter & Turner, Cabinetmaker, Boatbuilder, Carpenter/Joiner, Fitter Welder, and Plumber havebeen added.
- Automotive Mechanics (petrol and diesel) have become two separate occupations: Diesel Mechanic and Motor Mechanic.
Immediate Skill Shortage List (formerly the Occupational Shortage List (OSL))
Added to all regions
- Chip sealing, Asphalt or other Technical Manager (Roading andInfrastructure) Construction and Maintenance Managers (Roading andInfrastructure) Crane Operators, Crop Foreman, Dairy Farm Managers (andamended to read Farm Manager (Dairy, Sheep/Arable, Beef), ElectronicService Technician, Foreman (Roading and Infrastructure), Florists –Senior, Flooring Trade Persons, Glazier, Heavy Vehicle Drivers, OrchardForeman, Osteopath, Pig Farm Manager, Plastics Die Setter, RoofingTrade Persons, Scaffolders, Sheet metal worker, Shepherd, Ski andSnowboard Technicians
Added to some regions
- Analytical Chemist added to North Island regions
- Beekeepers added to South Island regions
- Dental Assistants added to the Auckland region
- Sheerer (wool harvester) added to Auckland, Wellington and Canterbury regions
Extended to all regions
- Accountant – Chartered, Arborists, Assistant Herd Managers,Autoglazier, Cardio/Respiratory Technician, Chef (added with mandatoryqualifications and experience), Early Childhood Education Teacher(replaces Early Childhood Education Supervisor), HospitalitySupervisor, Microbiologist, Post Doctoral fellows, Trackwork rider,Travel Consultant – Senior
Extended to other regions
- Coach builder has been extended to include the Waikato region
- Land Surveyors has been extended to include Licensed Cadastral Surveyors
- Horse Trainer
- Plastics Research and Development (replaced with Plastics Die Setter)
- Early Childhood Education Supervisor (replaced with Early Childhood Education Teacher)
Removed and added to the Long Term Skill Shortage List (formerly POL)
- Boat builder, Cabinet maker, Carpenter/Joiner, Design Engineer,Electronic Engineer, Fitter and Turner, Plumber, Structural Engineer,Traffic Engineer, Welder
- Doctors – renamed Medical Doctors
- Dairy Farm Managers – amended to read Farm Manager (Dairy, Sheep/Arable, Beef)
- Electronic Repairs Trades People – renamed Electronic Service Technician
For more information about work visas in New Zealand, please see our New Zealand pages.