Special Report: Apply now for Australian Skilled Migration - Human Resource professionals are in demand

Support migrant centric journalism today and donate

Human Resource Advisors looking to emigrate to Australia can apply under the General Skilled Migration (GSM) Program. Human Resource Advisors provide staffing and personnel administration services in support of an organisation's human resource policies and programs. In order to receive a visa, applicants will need to meet the basic requirements for GSM, pass the Australian immigration Points Test and pass an occupation skills assessment to qualify for an Australian visa.

Please note that beginning 1 July 2012, Australian immigration will be introducing significant changes to their skilled migration program. Under the new Australian immigration system, it is expected fewer applicants will qualify for a visa and processing times will be longer. If you wish to come under the current skilled immigration programme you should apply for a skills assessment as soon as possible. Prior to submitting your immigration application, you need to be ready with your skills assessment and have passed the English language test.

GSM is for professionals and other skilled migrants who have skills in particular occupations required in Australia and who are not sponsored by an employer. Australian Immigration uses a Skilled Occupation List (SOL) as part of their points system. In order to qualify for skilled migration to Australia, you must nominate an occupation from the SOL. Fortunately, the Human Resource Advisor position is on the SOL.

In order to qualify as an Human Resource Advisor, you must meet the following requirements:
  • Have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification.
  • If you have no diploma, at least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications. In some instances, relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Before emigrating to Australia as a skilled migrant you need to have your skills assessed by the relevant assessment authority for your occupation. For this occupation you will need to be assessed by VETASSESS. They assess your post-secondary educational qualifications against the educational level requirements of your nominated occupation. In addition to this, they also assess whether your qualifications are in a highly relevant field to your nominated occupation.

Once you have your positive assessment letter from VETASSESS, you can apply for the skilled migration visa electronically and count your assessment points in the points test in order to qualify for the visa.

If you do not qualify for a position as a Human Resource Advisor you may qualify for a position in either of the following occupations:
  • Recruitment Consultant : Interviews applicants to determine their job requirements and suitability for particular jobs, and assists employers to find suitable staff.
  • Workplace Relations Adviser : Assists in resolving disputes by advising on workplace relations policies and problems, and representing industrial, commercial, union, employer or other parties in negotiations on rates of pay and conditions of employment.
Both require the same qualifications as a Human Resource Advisor and are on the SOL list. For the complete list of occupations on the SOL list please visit our information page.

If you wish to benefit from our nearly 25 years of experience in the immigration business call us on +44 (0)344 991 9222 for our London office or +91 11 4120 7222 for our New Delhi office or complete one of our online forms. You can also benefit from regular immigration updates by subscribing to the WorkPermit.com immigration newsletter.