Special Report: Apply now for UK Skilled Immigration - Civil Engineers in demand!

If you are interested in UK immigration you may wish to consider applying soon under the Tier 2 (General) visa category. The UK has a high demand for civil engineers right now. If you have the right skills and qualifications and have a Tier 2 sponsor, you may be able to apply for a UK visa.

Examples of jobs available on the Shortage Occupation List for civil engineers includes:
  • Geo-technical design engineer or specialist
  • Soil mechanics engineer
  • Mining and coal engineer
  • Petroleum engineer
  • Drilling engineer
  • Reservoir engineer
Please check the complete list to see if your occupation is on the UK Shortage Occupation List.

Tier 2 Visa requirements for Civil Engineers

In order to apply under the Tier 2 (General) category, applicants must meet the following requirements:
  • You must have a job offer in the UK to fill a position.
  • If your occupation is on the Shortage Occupation List the employer will not need to advertise the vacancy.
  • You will need to satisfy the Maintenance Requirement for yourself and each of your dependents
  • You will need to satisfy the English Language Requirement
  • Gain 70 points or more in a Points Test which depends on factors such as your academic qualifications and prospective earnings
If you meet the above requirements you may very well be able to emigrate to the UK on a Tier 2 visa. If it is not an Tier 2 intra-company transfer visa and you wish to apply for a Tier 2 visa in an occupation that is not on the Shortage Occupation List, your employer will need to show that the vacancy cannot be filled by a resident worker. If you cannot come under the Tier 2 visa category there are a number of other UK visa options that you might consider. However, you should note that immigration to the UK is quite difficult these days.

Become a Sponsor

If you are an employer looking to hire an individual from outside the EU you can do so under the Tier 2 visa if you meet the following requirements:
  • Apply to the UK Border Agency for a Sponsorship License
  • If the vacancy is not on the shortage occupation list you will need to undertake a Resident Labour Market Test to show that there is no one else available locally (with the right to work in in the UK) who can fill the vacancy.
  • You will need to issue a Certificate of Sponsorship to the applicant that you wish to employ.
If you need assistance with obtaining a Tier 2 Sponsorship License then please complete our free evaluation form.

If you wish to benefit from our nearly 25 years of experience in the immigration business call us on +44 (0)344 991 9222 for our London office or +91 11 4120 7222 for our New Delhi office or complete one of our online forms. You can also benefit from regular immigration updates by subscribing to the WorkPermit.com immigration newsletter.