Call for paid service +44 (0)344-991-9222

UK reminds employers to apply for sponsor license

Support migrant centric journalism today and donate

Media Center » Video Immigration News

The UK Border Agency is reminding employers to make their application for a sponsor license as soon as possible to minimise delays in their recruitment process.

A sponsorship license is needed by employers in Britain who wish to hire foreign workers from outside the European Economic Area and Switzerland under Tier 2 and Tier 5 of the new points based immigration system. Tier 2 and Tier 5 are expected to be introduced at the end of November 2008.

Tier 2 for skilled foreign workers with a job offer from a UK employer requires applicants to score 70 points under various criteria. You need to have a certificate of sponsorship from the employer to come under Tier 2.

Tier 5 will cover temporary employment such as youth mobility workers under Working Holiday agreements with other nations. It will also facilitate entry to the UK for other temporary employment; for example for creative endeavours and for sporting-related activities.

If you are a UK employer and would like to be advised on the sponsorship application process under Tiers 2 and 5, contact our London office at +44 (0)20 7842 0800.