Call for paid service +44 (0)344-991-9222

US issues record number of visa to Ghanaians

Support migrant centric journalism today and donate

The US has announced that a record number of US visit visas were issued to Ghanaians in 2011. According to the US Embassy in Ghana, over 12,000 Ghanaians were issued with visas to travel to the US in 2011.

US Ambassador to Ghana, H.E. Donald Teitelbaum, said the number of visas issued was at a record high since diplomatic relations between the US and Ghana began in 1957 following Ghanaian independence from Britain.

"America is Ghana's second largest group of visitors and America is Ghana's most popular foreign destination," said Teitelbaum. "We issued over 12,000 visas in 2011, more than ever before, and we are good business partners."

Additionally, over the past five years, US trade with Ghana has increased dramatically, said the US Ambassador.

"Trade between US and Ghana was $650 million in 2007, and $1.97 billion in 2011," he said. "I see many US companies like General Electric, Hewlett Packard and Trimble opening up new offices and even regional headquarters in Ghana, I see Ghanaian religious leaders visiting America and American religious leaders visiting Ghana."

If you wish to travel to the US as a visitor you can apply as either a Business traveler on a B1 visa or for a B2 visa as tourist. However, normally joint B-1/B-2 visit visas are issued. Citizens from participating countries under the US Visa Waiver scheme can visit the US without applying for a visitor visa. For the foreseeable future it is highly unlikely that Ghana will be added to the list of visa waiver Countries. The US waiver program allows people to travel to the US up to 90 days without a visa. Countries currently part of the visa waiver program include Australia, the UK, New Zealand, Germany, and France.

Citizens of countries under the US visa waiver program are also required to apply for the online Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) application. ESTA is an automated system that determines the eligibility of visitors to travel to the US under the Visa Waiver Program. You will need to submit the ESTA if:
  • You are a citizen or eligible national of a Visa Waiver Program country.
  • You are currently not in possession of a visitor's visa.
  • Your travel is for 90 days or less.
  • You plan to travel to the US for business or pleasure.
If you would like to apply for a US visa, can help. is a specialist visa consultancy with nearly twenty-five years of experience dealing with visa applications. We can help with a wide range of visa applications to your country of choice. Please feel free to contact us for further details.