Call for paid service +44 (0)344-991-9222

Types of work permit

There are three main types of work permit in Belgium:

  • The Type-A permit allows you to work for any employer in Belgium for an unlimited period of time. In order to be granted a Type-A work permit you must have lived and worked in Belgium on a Type-B permit for a minimum of 4 years.

    The 4 year work requirement is shortened to 3 years for nationals of the following countries: Algeria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, FYR Macedonia, Montenegro, Morocco, Serbia, Tunisia, Turkey, and Croatia.

    The work requirement is reduced by another year if your spouse or dependent children have been living with you in Belgium for that time.

  • The Type-B permit is valid for one employer and runs for one year, after which it can be renewed (by the same employer, usually for the same job or job classification). If you change employers, your new employer must apply for a new B permit; in which case you may need to return to your home country and re-apply for a residence visa before you can start your new job.

    Jobs filled using a Type-B work permit must pay a minimum of €39,802.

    Once you have lived and worked in Belgium for 4 years on the same permit, you can receive an unlimited A permit.

  • The Type-C permit is valid for only one year, allowing the holder to work for multiple employers. This is usually issued to temporary migrant agricultural or domestic workers, or to those whose length of stay in Belgium is unconfirmed, such as asylum seekers. Type-C can be renewed.

  • The European Blue Card is a European Union wide work permit, please see our European Blue Card page for more details

Professional Cards

Professional Cards are suitable for the self-employed who want to work in Belgium. Cards are valid for 5 years and are limited to a precise field of practise.

Self-employed professionals from outside the EU must apply for a professional card (carte professionale/beroepskaart) in order to work in Belgium. A professional card can be issued for a period of five years. You'll need a passport, medical certificate and a police certificate in addition to proof of your qualifications in your profession. Be sure to check with a Belgian embassy or consulate in your home country, as some professions require specific proof that you're already established in your field.

The renewal of Professional Cards does not usually pose any problems.

Previous Section: Can my company obtain a Belgian work permit?

Next Section: Social security payments and possible exemption