Changes to the United Kingdom work permit criteria – Business and Commercial

As from 1st October 2000, a number of significant changes to thecurrent scheme will, take place.

The main changes are as follows:

1. Skills, Qualifications and Experience

OLD RULES: Candidate must have

a) a UK degree equivalent qualification and two years experience


b) 5 years senior level experience

NEW RULES: Candidate must have

a) a UK degree equivalent qualification


b) 3 years senior level experience in a relevant, specialised area


c) a HND level occupation which entitles him to do a specific job


d) a general HND level qualification and 1 year relevant experience


e) 3 years relevant experience at NVQ level 3 or above

2. Intra-Company Transfers

OLD RULES: If a candidate has a degree and 2 years experience, the mostrecent 6 months of which is with your overseas branch they will qualify for anICT. If he has a degree and 1 years experience, the most recent 6 months ofwhich is with your company overseas, they will qualify for a career developmentICT, which can only be approved for a maximum of 3 years.

NEW RULES: A candidate will qualify for an ICT if he has been with yourcompany for 6 months or more and has gained at least one of the following beforejoining your overseas branch;

  • A degree
  • At least 21/2 years senior level relevant experience
  • A general HND level qualification and at least 6 months relevant experience
  • A NVQ level 3 or above

Career development category has been scrapped.

3. Tests of the resident labour market

  1. No further tests will be required for extensions to work permits providing the job remains the same.
  2. Internet advertising will be accepted providing it can be argued as the most appropriate form

4. Length of permit

From 1st November 2000 a permit can be awarded for up to fiveyears. Indefinite Leave to Remain applications can still be made after 4 yearsin the UK on a work permit.

5. Keyworker applications

These have now been scrapped. Candidates currently on keyworker permitsshould be able to get extensions without the need to re-advertise. Keyworkerswho wish to change employers who did not have 3 years experience in a specialistarea may exceptionally get the change of employment approved without the needfor advertising, providing the new position is in the same occupation.

6. Supplementary employment

Permission is no longer needed from the Work Permits (UK) if a candidate wants to takesupplementary employment, providing it is work of a similar nature and does notexceed working time regulations

7. Graduate Training Schemes

These now come under the Work Permit (Business and Commercial) criteria, theywill no longer come under the Training and Work Experience Scheme

8. TWES ‘switches’

It may now be possible for candidate’s on TWES permit’s to apply for fullwork permits, even with the same employer

9. Hotel and Catering Staff

These now come under the Business and Commercial application; there is nolonger a separate form

10. Experience gained in the UK as a student or a Working Holidaymaker

It is now specified that experience gained as a student or a workingholidaymaker is not usually considered as reason to approve continued employment

11. Shareholding

A candidate is permitted a small amount of equity in the company for which heis working but this should not normally exceed 10 per cent, should not result ina significant or controlling interest, and should have been given to them aspart of the pay package linked to their employment

12. Changes to the skill shortage occupation list

The following posts have been added to the skilll shortage occupation listfor business and commercial applications

  • Opto-electronics
  • Photonics
  • Teachers (Posts in the Greater London area covering compulsory schooling)