Claim of Fast-track US green card for Prince Harry as diplomat

Support migrant centric journalism today and donate

Sanwar Ali comment:

The news reports on this may be somewhat misleading.  On what basis will it be any faster to gain a green card?  If you gain entry to the US on the basis of some form of diplomatic status this does not necessarily make it any faster.  This is assuming that this is even possible.  You will also need to waive your diplomatic immunity to apply for a green card. 

As Prince Harry is no longer a “working Royal” would he even be eligible for some form of diplomatic status?  Prince Harry could apply for an immigrant visa as the Spouse of an US citizen.  That will perhaps take about a year.  That is available to any spouse of an US citizen as long as the financial requirements are met.

Immigration law researcher in the US, Matteo Carrera, claims that Prince Harry will be given diplomatic status in the US to make getting his US green card easier. Carrera, a researcher for Cardozo Law School in New York, expects the Duke of Sussex to be classified as a British diplomat, making him eligible for a US A1 visa.

Carrera said: “With an A1 visa, Prince Harry would be able to enter the US and then adjust his status to a green card. Settling Prince Harry’s US visa situation will not be difficult.”

Harry, who will no longer be a senior member of the royal family as of 31 March, will be eligible for a fast-track US green card in three years, should he remain in the US.

Prince Harry and Meghan had recently moved to Canada, only to leave for the United States, just before Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau shut the border due to the coronavirus.

A spokesperson for the royal family said: “The move from Canada was planned for some time. They realised Canada would not work out for various reasons.”

Duke and Duchess and Sussex living in Los Angeles

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are currently living in Los Angeles, and it’s understood that the royal couple intend to set up base in the Californian city permanently.

Meanwhile, President Trump has said that the US will not pay for security for the couple in Los Angeles. Harry and Meghan - who is a US citizen, responded to Trump saying: “We don’t need your protection,” stating that they never intended to ask the US for security in LA – “we have private funded arrangements,” the pair said.

Trump had said: “I am a great friend and admirer of the Queen & the United Kingdom. It was reported that Harry and Meghan, who left the Kingdom, would reside permanently in Canada. Now they have left Canada for the US. However, the US will not pay for their security protection. They must pay!”

It’s rumoured that Prince Harry could be forced to give up his Duke of Sussex title should he become a US citizen. An A1 visa would enable Harry to apply for citizenship in the US. However, under US naturalisation laws, Harry would have to declare an Oath of Allegiance.

A1 visa for diplomats

According to the US Department of State website, A1 visas are reserved for diplomats and government officials.

Carrera said: “Should Prince Harry have been refused an A1 visa for US entry, he could have entered the country on a tourist visa and then apply for a green card, which would allow him to become a permanent resident in the US and work.  However, switching from a tourist visa to a marriage based immigrant visa may be unlawful in many circumstances. can help with US employment-based visas

If you would like to apply for a US work visa – including L1 visasE1 and E2 visasB1 in lieu of H1B visas and H1B visas - can help. is a specialist visa consultancy with over thirty years of experience dealing with visa applications. We can help with a wide range of visa applications to your country of choice. Contact us for further details.  You can also telephone 0344 991 9222.