Call for paid service +44 (0)344-991-9222

Social security and taxes in EU

Social security

All EU nationals have the right to social security benefits, even if they are looking for work outside of their home country. Unemployed EU nationals can claim unemployment and other benefits in any EU member state, and can even continue to receive benefits from the country in which they became unemployed for up to 6 months if they move to another EU country.

These rights also cover sickness and maternity benefits, disability, old-age and widow's/widower's benefits, benefits payable for accidents at work, occupational illness, death and unemployment, as well as family allowances. You will be required to pay the same level of contributions as host country nationals.

You cannot be excluded from benefits on grounds of nationality, for reasons of residence, or for any other discriminatory reason.


By working in another member state and by transferring your residence there, you will become "resident for tax purposes" there. The definition of fiscal residence varies from one member state to another. You must comply with the laws of the country where you have established your residence.

If you are fiscally resident in a country, you must declare all your income ("worldwide" income). You may also be subject to other taxes such as wealth tax or inheritance tax.

Tax agreements have been concluded between the member states of the EU, which are intended to avoid double taxation, if you derive income from different countries.

Further Information, help, and advice has over twenty years of experience helping people immigrate to countries all over the World. Whether you wish to visit, work, study, or hire workers in the European Union our specialist team of immigration experts can help you with one to one advice, information, and representation when applying for your European visa or work permit.

For more information and advice on European immigration law and visa applications please contact us on 0344 991 9222 or at