Australian General Skilled Migration (Skillselect) Visa Subclasses

Section Menu

show hide

Skilled Immigration Visa Subclasses

The Skillselect program replaced all other Australian skilled immigration worker visas in 2012-2013. Applicants must meet at least 65 points from the points tables to be considered.  In some cases it may be worth considering the temporary work visa 457 for entry based on employment.

Please see the visa pages below for detailed information on eligibility rules and application advice for your visa.

This visa is good for individuals who are not able to gain sponsorship from an employer, a state or even a family member. In order to apply for this visa, your occupation must be found on the Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL). An applicant must also have a suitable skills assessment as well, in order to satisfy the points test. You must be invited to apply after submitting an EOI. 

This visa can be applied for by those who are being sponsored by a state or a territory. An individual must be able to find their occupation on the MTSSL or the Short‑term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL). You can work and live anywhere in Australia, but of course you will have an obligation to the state that is sponsoring you. 

This visa is suitable for those who wish to live and work in regional Australia. This visa is temporary and visa holders may be able to apply for the Permanent Skilled Regional (Subclass 887). 

  • Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) (Subclass 491) Visa

This visa is suitable for those who are sponsored by a state or territory, or for those who are being sponsored by relatives living in a designated part of Australia. The relative will need to be eligible. Individuals must find their occupation on either the MTSSL, the STSOL or the Regional Occupation List (ROL). With this visa option, there are limits to where you can reside, and you must live and work in a designated area.

A temporary visa that allows international students to live, study and work after you have finished your studies in Australia. Applicants must have held a student visa within the last 6 months of applying for this visa and have a recent qualification in a CRICOS-registered course. After applying, you cannot change visa streams.

  • Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482) 

There are four streams with this visa, the main streams are the short-term stream and the medium-term stream. Both visas allow for employers to tackle any labour shortage they may be experiencing by bringing in skilled workers from overseas. The employer must not be able to find someone with the required skills in Australia. 

With the short-term stream, individuals must be able to find their occupation on the STSOL. With the medium-term stream, individuals must be able to find their occupation on the MTSSL. 

Further Information, help, and advice has over twenty years of experience helping people immigrate to countries all over the World. If you feel that you can pass the points test and wish to immigrate to Australia, fill out our free assessment form and one of our representatives will contact you shortly.

For more information and advice on Australian immigration law and Australian visa applications please contact us on 0344 991 9222 or at