Call for paid service +44 (0)344-991-9222

Guardian Visa (Subclass 580)

Section Menu

show hide

The Student Guardian (Subclass 580) visa allows parents and other legal guardians of international students to enter Australia with them in order to provide accommodation, welfare, and financial support to them while they study.

Student Guardian (Subclass 580) visa holders must usually be accompanying a student who is less than 18 years old, except in exceptional circumstances; such as if the student has physical or mental health needs or disabilities which mean they need a guardian in Australia.


In order to to be eligible for a Student Guardian visa, applicants must:

  • Be a parent or legal guardian of an Australian student visa holder, OR;

  • Be another relative of an Australian student visa holder, and be nominated as a custodian by the student's parent or legal guardian

  • Be at least 21 years old

  • Have the means to provide accommodation, welfare, and financial support to the student while they study in Australia

  • Plan to live at the same address as the student visa holder in Australia

  • Have enough funds to pay for travel and maintenance costs for themselves and the student visa holder

  • Meet various health requirements, including having health insurance

  • Meet the character requirements, this usually means a criminal record check

  • Satisfy Australian officials that they will not overstay their visa. This is known as the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement.

Length of Stay

Student Guardian (Subclass 580) visa holders can stay in Australia for the full length of the student visa holder's stay which they accompany, or until the student reaches 18 years of age (whichever comes sooner).


Student Guardian (Subclass 580) visa holders cannot work in Australia without a separate work permit, but may study on the following courses:

  • An English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS) for up to 20 hours per week, OR;

  • A non-ELICOS course for 3 months or less

Further Information, help, and advice has over twenty years of experience helping people immigrate to countries all over the World. If you feel that you can pass the points test and wish to immigrate to Australia, fill out our free assessment form and one of our representatives will contact you shortly.

For more information and advice on Australian immigration law and Australian visa applications please contact us on 0344 991 9222 or at