Australian Skills Assessing Authorities

Section Menu

show hide

APC - Australasian Podiatry Council

Address: 41 Derby Street, Collingwood, VIC 3066 Australia
Phone: 61 3 9416 3111
Fax: 61 3 9416 3188

APEC - Australian Pharmacy Examining Council Inc

Address: PO Box 269, Civic Square, ACT 2608 Australia
Phone: 61 2 6247 5088
Fax: 61 2 6247 9611

Qualifications immediately acceptable to Pharmacy Registration Authorities in Australia: A pharmacy degree obtained in the UK, Ireland and NZ and a license to practise in the UK, Ireland and NZ – note: registering authority may impose additional requirements. You must still have your qualifications recognised by APEC before you are able to apply for migration.

Qualifications not immediately acceptable to Registration Authorities: If your qualifications do not immediately meet the Australian requirements you will need to undertake the examination process conducted by APEC.

Eligibility criteria: The APEC assessment procedure is open to any overseas-trained pharmacist who has completed an approved pharmacy course which included a minimum component of the equivalent of three years of full-time academic study and is eligible for registration as a pharmacist in the country in which the qualification was obtained.

Examination procedure: This consists of an English language requirement (some candidates may be granted an exemption), Stage I Examination (a written multiple-choice-question examination covering basic pharmaceutical sciences which is conducted twice a year), interview and counselling, a period of supervised practice in an Australian pharmacy; and Stage II Examination (conducted in Australia only) – a practical and oral examination covering the practice of pharmacy.

Please note that an application for an assessment of qualifications determines a person's eligibility to undertake the examination procedure. When a person's eligibility is determined, separate examination application forms are forwarded by APEC.

Candidates are deemed to have satisfied the skills component of a migration application upon successful completion of the English test and the Stage I Examination. The remainder of the examination process may be completed on arrival in Australia.

APS - Australian Psychological Society

Address: PO Box 126, Carlton South, VIC 3053 Australia
Phone: 61 3 9663 6166
Fax: 61 3 9663 6177

ASCPA - Australian Society of Certified Practising Accountants

Address: Educational Qualifications Adviser
Australian Society of Certified Practising Accountants
GPO Box 2820AA, Melbourne, VIC 3001 Australia
Phone: 61 3 9606 9654
Fax: 61 3 9670 3336

The ASCPA and the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia (ICAA) are the two designated assessing authorities for accountants intending to apply for migration to Australia.

The current minimum educational requirement to meet the Australian standard of accountant is an Australian Bachelor degree or an overseas degree/qualification assessed by the ICAA or the ASCPA as at least comparable to the educational standards of an Australian Bachelor degree. The degree/qualification should have an accounting major and include adequate coverage of the following subjects: financial accounting and reporting, accounting theory, management and cost accounting, business finance, auditing, the legal framework of business and business law, Australian company law and taxation, micro and macro economics, statistics/ quantitative methods, business information systems.

Applicants can apply wither to the ICAA or the ASCPA for assessment of their degree-level/professional qualifications. Note: Associate/Fellow members of ACCA, ACCA/HKSA and CIMA who do not hold an undergraduate degree in addition to their professional body qualifications are offered several options for ASCPA membership. However, for the purpose of migration applications, these accountants are advised to apply to the ICAA for skills assessments.

CASA - Civil Aviation Safety Authority

Address: PO Box 2005, Canberra, ACT 2601 Australia
Fax: 61 2 6217 1664

CASA is responsible for safety regulation of civil air operations in Australia and the operation of Australian aircraft overseas. Its functions include: standards setting; entry control (includes certification and licensing); safety surveillance of the industry enforcement of standards; regulatory oversight of the national airways system, and air traffic services, aviation rescue and fire fighting services provided by Airservices Australia.

DAA - Dieticians Association of Australia

Address: 1/8 Phipps Close, Deakin, ACT 2600 Australia
Phone: 61 2 6282 9555
Fax: 61 2 6282 9888

ICAA - Institute of Chartered Accountants of Australia

Address: Education Services Section
The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Australia (ICAA)
GPO Box 3921, Sydney, NSW 2001 Australia
Phone: 61 2 9290 5637
Fax: 61 2 9262 3421

IEAust - Institution of Engineers, Australia

Address: Engineering House
11 National Circuit, Barton, ACT 2600 Australia
Phone: 61 2 6270 6555
Fax: 61 2 6273 1488

ISA - Institution of Surveyors, Australia

Address: 27-29 Napier Close, Deakin, ACT 2600 Australia
Phone: 61 2 6282 2866
Fax: 61 2 6282 2576

NAATI - National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters

Address: PO Box 40, Hawker, ACT 2614 Australia
Phone: 61 2 6255 1888
Fax: 61 2 6255 1889

NOOSR - National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition

Address: GPO Box 1407, Canberra, ACT 2601 Australia
Phone: 1800 020 086 (in Australia)
61 2 6240 7644 (outside Australia)

OCANZ - Optometry Council of Australia and New Zealand

Address: PO Box 185, Carlton South, VIC 3053 Australia
Phone: 61 3 9663 2733
Fax: 61 3 9663 7478

SPAA - Speech Pathology Association of Australia

Address: 2nd Floor, 11-19 Bank Place, Melbourne, VIC 3000 Australia
Phone: 61 3 9642 4899
Fax: 61 3 9642 4922

SLAA - State Legal Admission Authority

The SLAAs only assess an applicant for admission as a barrister or solicitor – they do not assess solely for migration purposes. If your nominated occupation is lawyer, then to meet the skills assessment requirement you must be admitted to an SLAA as a barrister or solicitor. Please refer to the relevant authority in the State/ Territory to which you intend to migrate:

New South Wales and Australian Capital Territory

Address: The Admissions Officer, 
Legal Practitioners Admission Board
GPO Box 3980, Sydney, NSW 2001 Australia
Phone: 61 2 9392 0303


Address: The Secretary, Barristers and Solicitors Board
PO Box 412, Roam Street, Brisbane, QLD 4000 Australia
Phone: 61 7 3247 4372

South Australia

Address: The Registrar, Legal Practitioners Registry
PO Box 2066, Adelaide, SA 5001 Australia
Phone: 61 8 8229 0251


Address: The Secretary, Board of Legal Education
GPO Box 167B, Hobart, TAS 7001
Phone: 61 3 6233 6245
Fax: 61 3 6223 7816


Address: The Secretary, Council of Legal Education
GPO Box 1776Q, Melbourne, VIC 3001 Australia
Phone: 61 3 9614 1011
Fax: 61 3 9614 4661

Western Australia

Address: The Secretary, Legal Practice Board
5th Floor, Kings Building, 533 Hay Street, Perth, WA 6000 Australia
Phone: 61 8 9325 1311

Northern Territory

Address: The Secretary, Legal Practitioners Admission Board
GPO Box 3946, Darwin, NT 0801 Australia
Phone: 61 8 8999 6574

TRA - Trades Recognition Australia

Address: PO Box 9879, Canberra, ACT 2601 Australia
Phone: 61 2 6121 7333
Fax: 61 2 6121 7768

VETASSESS - Vocational Education and Training Assessment Services

Level 4, 478 Albert Street
East Melbourne
Victoria 3002
Phone: 61 3 9655 4801
Fax: 61 3 9654 3385

If you do not possess a recognised qualification in IT (or IT sub-discipline) but you have a qualification in another discipline together with significant experience in IT, or extensive professional development, you may apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).

ACOPRA - Australian Council of Physiotherapy Regulating Authorities Limited

Level 2, 19 Barry Drive
Telephone: +61 2 6262 6029
Fax: +61 2 6262 5284

ADC - Australian Dental Council

Address: Level 2, 112 Wellington Parade
East Melbourne, VIC 3002 Australia
Phone: 61 3 9415 1638

AIM - Australian Institute of Management

Address: National Secretary, PO Box 112,
St. Kilda, VIC 3182 Australia
Phone: 61 3 9534 8181
Fax: 61 3 9534 8860

To satisfy the level of qualifications, training and work experience for a 'professional manager' assessed by AIM, applicants must hold a senior management position at the level of an Associate Fellow of AIM. The criteria used is as follows:

'A record of proven management achievement over a period of five years or more in a senior management position such as chief executive, general manager or senior functional manager who delegates authority to several other managers who hold positions requiring the delegation of work to several other positions of a supervisory, or technical or skilled nature.'

The years of experience may be reduced if the applicant has qualifications in management studies or business administration assessed as comparable to an Australian Bachelor degree, or in a discipline relevant to the field in which the manager is working. You must have relevant work experience – recent graduates are not able to meet the requirement.

An important factor in making an assessment is whether a person delegates authority to other managers who are themselves responsible for planning, organisation, decision making, staffing and control, and who in turn delegate to others.

AIMS - Australian Institute of Medical Scientists

Address: PO Box 1911, Milton QLD 4064 Australia
Phone: 61 7 3876 2988
Fax: 61 7 3876 2999

AIQS - Australian Institute of Quantity Surveyors

Address: PO Box 301, Deakin West, ACT 2600 Australia
Phone: 61 2 6282 2222
Fax: 61 2 6285 2427

AIR - Australian Institute of Radiography

Address: PO Box 1169, Collingwood, VIC 3066 Australia
Phone: 61 3 9419 3336
Fax: 61 3 9416 0783

Medical Radiation Science in Australia

Encompasses Diagnostic Radiographers (Medical Imaging Technologists), Radiation Therapists, Nuclear Medicine Technologists and Sonographers.

Radiographers/Radiation Therapists/Sonographers/Nuclear Medicine Technologists and Industrial Radiographers holding qualifications obtained outside Australia must apply directly to the Australian Institute of Radiography for assessment of their qualifications.

The AIR will through its Overseas Qualifications Assessment Panel (OQAP) directly assess Radiographers/Radiation Therapists and Sonographers and will refer assessments on Nuclear Medicine Technologists to ANZSNM and Industrial Radiographers to AINDT. However, all applications must be submitted to the AIR.

A Comprehensive appeal process is available to all applicants and the appeal mechanism is conducted by persons not associated with the original assessment.

AIWCW - Australian Institute of Welfare and Community Workers

Address: PO Box 42, Flinders Lane Post Office
Melbourne, VIC 8009 Australia
Phone: 61 3 9654 8287
Fax: 61 3 9654 1081

The general field of social welfare in Australia is diverse and complex, with a range of occupational groups involved in service provision. Persons with welfare work qualifications are employed across many of these occupations, and their job titles may vary greatly. However, eligibility for membership of the Australian Institute of Welfare and Community Workers (AIWCW) is used by a variety of employers as an important criterion for employment.

The AIWCW is the professional organisation responsible for assessment of overseas qualifications and work experience suitable for recognition as a generic welfare worker in Australia, using the criteria for eligibility for membership. (However, if overseas study and experience is confined to specialised occupations such as community development, welfare administration, or residential care, such assessment is usually performed by VETASSESS). Eligibility for membership of the AIWCW generally requires a person to have completed a three-year university degree, or a two year diploma at a college of technical and further education (TAFE); including studies of society, individual human structure and function, welfare work with individuals, groups and communities, welfare services and systems, and practical training for at least 400 hours.

Full membership of the AIWCW is also available to those with another relevant qualification and at least five years experience in welfare or community work within the last 10 years. An 'other relevant qualification' may include, for example, a general three-year Bachelor of Arts degree with a psychology or sociology major, or a specialised two-year diploma in the field of social welfare. Decisions about the relevance of alternative qualifications and/or work experience are made on an individual basis by an AIWCW Membership Assessment Co-ordinator, with doubtful cases being referred to the National Membership Assessment Panel.

Experience has shown that, due to differences in social work education between countries, the course studied by many overseas-trained social workers, who initially seek to join the AASW, do not meet AASW requirements. In the past, many of these people have met the requirements of the AIWCW. You may initially apply for social work assessment and if unsuccessful, have your application sent on for welfare work assessment without additional cost. But this process is not usually available for other occupations in this complex field.

AMSA - Australian Maritime Safety Authority

Address: Marine Operations and Personnel
Australian Maritime Safety Authority
GPO Box 2181, Canberra, ACT 2601 Australia
Phone: 61 2 6279 5043
Fax: 61 2 6279 5056

The professions assessed by AMSA are seafarers classified as deck officers (masters and mates) and engineers.

ANCI - Australian Nursing Council Incorporated

Address: PO Box 873, Dickson, ACT 2601 Australia
Phone: 61 2 6257 7960
Fax: 61 2 6279 7955

Nurses seeking to determine their eligibility to apply for registration as a nurse in Australia may apply for an assessment of their qualifications provided they have:

completed a pre-registration or pre-enrolment course of training; been registered or enrolled as a nurse in the country where education was undertaken; current registration, a practising certificate or license in the country where they are currently practising; demonstrated proficiency in the English language; and, practised in the branch of nursing for which they are seeking registration within the previous five years.

The following is a list of Australian assessing authorities, a brief description on the assessment process for various occupations and the contact details of the relevant institution. If you elect to use the services of WORKPERMIT.COM, we will fill out all of the relevant forms and apply to the relevant assessing authority for you, provided you supply us with the appropriate documentation and information.

AACA – Architects Accreditation Council of Australia, Inc

Address: PO Box 236, Civic Square, ACT 2608 Australia
Phone: 61 2 6230 0506
Fax: 61 2 6230 1694

The assessment of overseas academic qualifications in architecture is carried out by the Architects Accreditation Council of Australia Inc. Qualifications obtained outside Australia are assessed in terms of equivalence with an academic qualification in architecture from a recognised school of architecture in Australia. Generally a qualification is of five to six years duration from a higher education institution.

Applicants should be aware that this assessment is provisional only, and upon arrival in Australia they will be required to submit for the Review of Academic Equivalence (RAE), undertake work experience in an architect's office, and submit for the Architectural Practice Examination (APE) before being eligible for registration.

AASW – Australian Association of Social Workers

Address: Overseas Qualifications Assessment, PO Box 4956
Kingston, ACT 2604 Australia
Phone: 61 2 6273 0199
Fax: 61 2 6273 5020

The general field of social welfare in Australia is diverse and complex, with a range of occupational groups involved in service provision. The social work profession is one of these groups. Whilst social work is not a legally registered occupation in Australia, many employers do require eligibility for membership of the Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW).

The AASW is the professional organisation for social workers in Australia. It has a number of functions including: approval of Australian Bachelor of Social Work courses so that their graduates can meet AASW membership eligibility requirements; self-regulation of the profession; and assessment of overseas social work qualifications.

The assessment of overseas social work qualifications is undertaken on the basis of AASW's membership eligibility requirements. A comparative method of assessment is used: the formal social work educational course completed overseas is compared with AASW requirements for social work courses in Australia, which are Bachelor degrees in social work awarded after four years of study at a university. The overseas qualifications are compared with AASW requirements for Australian courses in terms of educational level, length, structure and content, including required fieldwork placements.

ACS - Australian Computer Society

Address: PO Box Q534, Queen Victoria Building
Sydney, NSW 1230 Australia
Phone: 61 2 9299 3666
Fax: 61 2 9299 3997

The Australian Computer Society (ACS) is the professional society for information technology practitioners in Australia. It is also the professional body authorised by the Australian Government to conduct skills assessments for migration purposes.

You may apply for a skills assessment if:

you are a current Member (MACS) or Associate (AACS) of the ACS; or you possess any of the following Australian qualifications or overseas qualifications assessed as comparable:

  • Bachelor (undergraduate) degree or higher qualification with a major in IT (or IT sub-discipline)
  • Graduate diploma in IT (or IT sub-discipline)
  • Bachelor (undergraduate) degree or higher qualification with a minor in IT (or IT sub-discipline)
  • (AQF) Advanced diploma (three years full-time) or (AQF) Diploma (two years full-time) in IT (or IT sub-discipline)
  • Graduate certificate in IT (or IT sub-discipline)