Australian Working Holiday visa Subclass 417

Section Menu

show hide

The Australia's working holiday maker visa scheme allows young people to have an extended holiday while supplementing their travel funds through incidental employment, thus experiencing closer contact with the local community and promoting international understanding.

Australia has reciprocal Working Holiday maker arrangements in effect with the following countries:

  • Belgium

  • Canada

  • Republic of Cyprus

  • Denmark

  • Estonia

  • Finland

  • France

  • Germany

  • Hong Kong Special

  • Republic of Ireland

  • Italy

  • Japan

  • Republic of Korea

  • Malta

  • Netherlands

  • Norway

  • Sweden

  • Taiwan

  • United Kingdom.


Only citizens of the above-mentioned countries are eligible to apply for Working Holiday visas. All visa applications must be lodged overseas. Applicants can lodge their application online or by post, but applicants with dependent children must lodge their application by post.

Eligibility criteria

You must be between the ages of 18 and 30 and be single or married without children.

You need to show that:

  • You have not previously used a Work and Holiday (Temporary) visa (subclass 462) to enter Australia

  • You genuinely intend to enter Australia for a holiday (i.e. that work is not your main purpose)

  • You have at least AUD$5000 to support yourself in Australia

  • Have the necessary funds to pay for return or onward travel when your holiday ends

  • You will not bring any dependent children with you, or be accompanied by them at any time during your holiday

  • You are of good health and character

Length of stay

If you are granted a working holiday visa, you are allowed a stay of 12 months from the date of initial entry to Australia.

Work and study conditions

Working holiday makers are permitted to study or train for up to 4 months in Australia, and can work under certain conditions.

You are allowed to do any kind of work of a temporary or casual nature. Since the main purpose of the visit is for holiday and travel, work for longer than 6 months with any one employer is not permitted. Working holiday makers should be paid according to Australian award rates and conditions.

Getting a second working holiday visa

As of 1 Nov. 2005, the Working Holiday Maker program has been expanded to help growers get the seasonal harvest labour they need. Working Holiday Makers who have done at least 3 months of specified work in certain regional areas Australia will be able to apply for a second, 12 month Working Holiday Maker visa. People from all 19 countries with which Australia has a reciprocal WHM arrangement are eligible.

Specified work must be carried out in the following industries:

  • plant and animal cultivation

  • fishing and pearling

  • tree farming and felling

  • mining

  • construction

For more information on which jobs and regional areas are part of the scheme please contact us.

Further Information, help, and advice has over twenty years of experience helping people immigrate to countries all over the World. For more information and advice on Australian immigration law and Australian visa applications please contact us on 0344 991 9222 or at