Call for paid service +44 (0)344-991-9222

Fiancé visa for Australia

Section Menu

show hide

If you intend to marry an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you may be able to obtain a fiancé(e) visa for immigration to Australia. Your fiancé can sponsor you for temporary residence in Australia for up to nine months during which the marriage must take place.

Requirements for an Australian fiance visa

In order to be eligible for a fiancé(e) (prospective marriage) visa, you must fulfill the following requirements:

  • You must be engaged to an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.
  • You must be able to show that your relationship is genuine. This will involve demonstrating that you genuinely intend to marry your fiancé(e) within nine months from the date you are granted a visa, and that you intend to then live with your partner as their spouse.
  • You will have to prove that you and your fiancé(e) have met face to face and know each other.
  • Both you and your fiancé(e) must be aged 18 years or over unless one of the following circumstances applies:
    • Australian authorities are satisfied that you and/or your fiancé(e) are due to turn 18 before the end of the period within which the intended marriage is to take place; or
    • An Australian judge or magistrate has made an order under section 12 of the Marriage Act 1961 authorising you to marry your fiancé(e) or vice versa as required, and that order is in force and DIMIA is satisfied that the marriage will take place.

Rules and procedure

You must be outside Australia when you apply and when you receive your Australia fiance visa. Depending on the circumstances, you may wish to employ the services of a migration agent. Please contact us for advice on obtaining a fiancé(e) visa.

A fiancé(e) visa lasts nine months, during which you must marry your sponsor. You will be entitled to full work rights for the duration of the fiancé(e) visa. Once you are married, you will be eligible to apply for permanent residence through a spouse visa.

Please contact us for further information about how to proceed with your application for this type of visa.