Call for paid service +44 (0)344-991-9222

Australian Contributory Parent Visas

Section Menu

show hide

The contributory parent category has 3,500 places and normally a shorter waiting period than the already-mentioned parent visas.

There are four parent visa subclasses in the contributory category:

For parents residing outside Australia:

Subclass 143 Contributory Parent (Migrant) visa; and

Subclass 173 Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa.

For parents residing in Australia:

Subclass 864 Contributory Aged Parent (Residence) visa; and

Subclass 884 Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa.

Parents of any age residing outside Australia will be able to apply, but only aged parents residing in Australia will be able to apply. Aged refers to men over 65 and women the qualifying age is 62.5.


There are two payment options for contributory parent visa applicants:

Permanent visa: pay a A$25,000 second Visa Application Charge (VAC) per person ($1050 for dependents under 18); or

Temporary visa: pay a A$15,000 second VAC per person (A$1050 for dependents under 18) which would entitle parents to a two-year temporary residence visa including Medicare access and work rights. During that period, parents may apply at any time for a permanent visa at which time the remaining payment of A$10,000 is required (nil for dependants under 18).

The contributory parent visa category also requires a 10-year, A$10,000 AoS bond for main applicants and A$4,000 for adult secondary applicants (for temporary visa holders, this is payable during processing of the permanent visa).


Generally, the following are requirements for visas in the Contributory Parent category:

  • The applicant must be a parent of a child who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
  • The applicant's child must be settled in Australia (in most cases, resident for at least 2 years) and must sponsor the applicant.
  • The applicant must meet health and character requirements
  • The applicant must pass the balance of family test. This means:
    • at least half of their children living lawfully and permanently in Australia, or
    • more children living lawfully and permanently in Australia than in any other single country overseas.
  • An Assurance of Support and an Assurance of Support bond (held for 10 years) must be provided for people applying for a permanent visa in the Contributory Parent category. Lodgement of the bond is not required until just before the visa is granted.

Don't get confused -- get help!

Please contact using our Australian immigration enquiry form for assistance in applying for this type of Australian visa.