Call for paid service +44 (0)344-991-9222

US H-1B Visa occupation list

Section Menu

show hide

H-1B visas are available for various types of specialty occupations that require theoretical or technical expertise in specialized fields such as in IT, architecture, engineering, mathematics, science, and medicine.   Any job could come under the H-1B visa requirement as long as it is a graduate level job.,

In order to qualify as a speciality occupation the position must meet the following criteria:

  • Have a minimum entry requirement of a Bachelor's or higher degree or its equivalent.
  • The degree requirement for the job is common to the industry or the job is so complex or unique that it can be performed only by an individual with a degree.
  • The employer normally requires a degree or its equivalent for the position.
  • The nature of the specific duties is so specialized and complex that the knowledge required to perform the duties is usually associated with the attainment of a bachelor's or higher degree.

These specialty occupations include:

  • IT / Computer professionals
  • University professors and teachers
  • Engineers
  • Healthcare workers
  • Accountants
  • Financial analysts
  • Management consultants
  • Lawyers
  • Architects
  • Nurses
  • Physicians ( offers a special guide for foreign doctors and physicians interested in obtaining an H-1B visa)
  • Surgeons
  • Dentists
  • Scientists
  • Systems analysts
  • Journalists and editors
  • Foreign Law advisors
  • Psychologists
  • Technical publications writers
  • Market research analysts
  • Teachers in elementary or secondary schools, colleges

Please note, this is just a suggestion of speciality occupations you can apply for under the H-1B visa. However, you can apply for any position so long as it meets the qualifications of a speciality occupation.


If you would like to apply for an H-1B visa through, please fill out an application form, or contact us on:

Telephone:  0344 991 9222

Further information, help, and advice's team of specialists has over 25 years of experience in immigration services, and have helped thousands of people to study and work in the US. All applications for US visas are dealt with in-house by a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA).

For more information and advice on US immigration law and US visa applications please contact us on 0344 991 9222 or at