Call for paid service +44 (0)344-991-9222

US J-1 Visa - Au Pairs

Section Menu

show hide

The J-1 Visa for Au Pairs

The Au Pair category of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program allows a caring live-in childcare provider between the ages of 18 and 26 to work for and live with a host family in exchange for room, board, and pay. Whilst the main priority of a successful applicant will be to take care of the kids, they should also have free time to enjoy life in the U.S.

The prospective applicant must have received an offer as a childcare provider with a family in the USA and must:

  • Be 18 to 26 years-old

  • Be in good health

  • Speak and understand English

  • Be a secondary school graduate

  • Have an international driver's license and a minimum of 50 hours of driving experience

  • Be a non-smoker if required by the host family

  • Be of good character and receive a police clearance report

  • Be prepared to commit to 12 months away from home

  • Have not previously lived in the U.S. as an au pair

  • Be willing to undergo a psychometric test to ensure their suitability for the role

Please note that cannot help in finding positions with prospective host families

Other responsibilities and duties

In addition to providing childcare, au pair responsibilities may include:

  • Dropping the kids off at school or activities

  • Picking them up from school or after-school activities

  • Helping with homework

  • Helping to keep the kids' rooms clean

  • Cooking meals for the kids

How can help?

By enlisting the services of our US Attorney, will:

  • Screen the applicants on the basis of their experience, education, and command of English, ensuring that they meet the requirements of the Au Pair Category of the J1 Visa Program
  • Advise both the applicant and the host family of the activities that are not allowed and what is expected by the au pair
  • Choose and register the applicant and the host family with the appropriate International Organization in charge of approving the J1 Visa Program
  • Prepare the required documents for the Organization's review and approval
  • Provide guidance to satisfy the necessary steps and requests from the Organization
  • Prepare the material needed for the U.S. embassy or consulate.

The processing time is typically 4-6 weeks. Obviously, it may take a longer or a shorter period of time depending on how quickly the applicant and the host family provide our attorney with all the necessary materials and information. Please CONTACT US NOW to request our assistance with your J-1 Visa application.

Further information, help, and advice's team of specialists has over 25 years of experience in immigration services, and have helped thousands of people to study and work in the US. All applications for US visas are dealt with in-house by a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA).

For more information and advice on US immigration law and US visa applications please contact us on 0344 991 9222 or at