Call for paid service +44 (0)344-991-9222

US J-1 - Exchange Visitor Program Visa

Section Menu

show hide

The J-1 Visa

The J-1 Exchange Visitor Program (J-1 Visa Program) currently includes 14 different exchange program categories. Depending on the particular category chosen, a visa obtained under the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program will allow a foreign national to work, train, or travel legally whilst experiencing life in the United States. The J-1 Visa program also benefits US businesses by providing them with seasonal and other staff.

Entry under the J-1 Visa program

Each category of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program has sponsoring organizations designated by the US Department of State. It is their role to authorize the entry of a foreign national for the purpose of completing the objectives of a specific program which they approve on behalf of the Department of State. They then issue forms DS-2109 and DS-7002 which, along with other necessary documents must be presented at the appropriate US Embassy in order to obtain the J-1 Visa.

An applicant's spouse and children should be able to obtain a J-2 Visa to accompany the applicant to the U.S. or to join him or her at a later date. A J-2 visa application should be submitted for each dependant either at the same time as the J-1 visa application or at a subsequent date.

An applicant and his or her dependants must:

  • pay for round-trip air travel

  • bring sufficient funds to cover all living expenses to be incurred in the U.S.

  • purchase adequate health insurance which is mandatory for this visa.

They must also meet certain other specific criteria. The attorney at will be happy to offer advice in this respect.

At the conclusion of their program, participants are expected to return to their home countries.

The J1 Exchange Visitor Program cateogories

The various J1 Visa categories cover the Private, Academic and Government Sectors

The Private Sector

The Academic and Government Sectors

  • Government Visitor

  • International Visitor (Department of State)

  • Short term scholar

  • Professor and research scholar

  • Specialist

  • Student College/University

How can help?

For the various J-1 Visa categories in the Academic and Government Sectors, the application procedure will be undertaken by the relevant Educational Facility or by the relevant Government body.

For those categories in the Private Sector however, the applicant will need to take a more active role involving contact with the relevant sponsoring organization. An applicant may consider using the services of an attorney who would offer guidance during the often complicated process. will assist with applications for the Trainee & Intern, the Au Pair, and the Summer Work/ Travel categories which are part of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program in the Private Sector. For further advice please contact us on:

Telephone:  0344 991 9222

Further information, help, and advice's team of specialists has over 25 years of experience in immigration services, and have helped thousands of people to study and work in the US. All applications for US visas are dealt with in-house by a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA).

For more information and advice on US immigration law and US visa applications please contact us on 0344 991 9222 or at