Call for paid service +44 (0)344-991-9222

UK Visa for Skilled Workers

Section Menu

show hide

The new UK points system was introduced on 1 December 2020 and included a number of significant changes to the points based system. The Skilled Worker visa replaced the Tier 2 visa scheme and allows entry to the UK on a long term basis to fill a skilled job vacancy in a wide range of skilled and medium-skilled occupations including in IT, accountancy, teaching, and healthcare. The occupation needs to be on the Skilled Worker eligible occupations list, which has been expanded to include more lower-skilled occupations such as butcher, baker, plasterer, etc.

If the occupation is on the Skilled Worker Shortage Occupation List it is easier to gain enough points under the points system. Before they apply, Skilled Worker visa applicants must have a job offer and a Certificate of Sponsorship from a UK employer with a valid Skilled Worker sponsor licence.

UK work visa categories

  • The Skilled Worker visa is for workers who have a skilled job offer and a certificate of sponsorship from a UK employer with a valid sponsor licence.  The Skilled Worker visa applicant will need to gain enough points under the UK visa system.

  • Global Business Mobility visa for employees of a multinational company who are being transferred to the business's UK branch. Applicants must have a valid certificate of sponsorship from their employer. There are two sub-categories:

  • T2 Minister of Religion visa for workers who have been offered a job, such as missionary or minister of religion, within a religious community organisation in the UK.

  • International Sportsperson visa for elite sportspeople and coaches. The applicant must be recognised or endorsed by their sport's governing body.

Skilled Worker Shortage Occupations List

It should be easier to gain enough points under the points system if the occupation is on the shortage occupation list.

Jobs found on this list include IT people, engineers, nurses and many other occupations. The full Skilled Worker Shortage Occupation List for can be found here.


    Skilled Worker visa applicants must provide a number of documents with their application, these include:

    • Current passport and/or other travel documents

    • Proof that they can meet the maintenance funds requirements for their visa.  Usually the Skilled Worker A rated sponsor guarantees maintenance in the UK.  Another way to show this is to have bank statements over 28 days showing maintenance funds.

    • Proof that they meet the Skilled Worker English Language requirements, such as qualification equivalent to a bachelors degree or higher taught in English or English language test results.

    • A clear tuberculosis (TB) test result letter, if the applicant is from one of the countries on the Home Office's TB testing list 

    Skilled Worker Visa Points system

    Skilled Worker visa applicants must score at least 70 points on the Skilled Worker points test. Please see our Skilled Worker Points System page for full details. 

    Skilled Worker Visa Family members (dependants)

    In most cases you can bring your partner or children with you during your stay, but you must show that you have sufficient funds to provide for them. They will be able to apply under a family visa, please see our UK Family Visas page for more details. Alternatively, you can contact us on 0344 991 9222 or at

    Skilled Worker English language requirement

    Skilled Worker visa applicants may be required to complete an approved UKVI version of the English language test if they are not nationals of an English-speaking country on the list, or have not completed a degree level course taught in English accepted by UK NARIC.  There are no English language requirements for Intra-Company Transfer visa applicants.

    UK Immigration help and advice's team of specialists has over thirty years of experience in international visa services, and have helped thousands of people to study and work in the UK. We work in conjunction with OISC registered advisers who can submit your UK sponsor licence application and visa application to UK Visas and Immigration at the Home Office. 

    For more information and advice on UK immigration law and UK visa applications please contact us on 0344 991 9222 or at