Different rules apply to children
- born outside the UK and,
- on or after 21 May 2002, in the qualifying territories,
- to British citizens in Crown service, in service designated by the Home Secretary, and
- in the service of a European Community institution.
- a British citizen (whether otherwise than by descent or by descent);
- you are working outside the UK (or UK and qualifying territories if the child was born on or after 21 May 2002) in one of the types of service and
you were recruited to that service either:
- in the UK; or
- a qualifying territory if the child was born on or after 21 May 2002; or
- in the European Community (in the case of service with a European Community institution)
then your child will automatically be a British citizen otherwise than by descent at birth, without the need for registration.
But your child will be entitled to be registered at the Home Office as a British citizen in certain circumstances. Please see the registration section on this website.