Call for paid service +44 (0)344-991-9222

International Sportsperson visa

Section Menu

show hide

International Sportsperson visa formerly called Tier 2 Sportsperson visa is for top-level athletes and coaches - whose application is being endorsed by their sport's governing body – who are coming to the UK to work in a way that will help their sport's development. Workers for this visa must have a certificate of sponsorship from a sports organisation with a valid sponsor licence before they apply.

Length of stay

Up to 3 years initially, which can be extended indefinitely.  Towards to end of five years you may be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK.


The employer can guarantee to cover the costs for International Sportsperson visa applicants for the first month for up to £1,270 or the applicant must have this amount for at least 28 days.

Switching to an International Sportsperson visa

You cannot switch to this visa from within the UK if you are under one of these visa categories:

  • on a visit visa - unless you’ve been doing permitted activities as a sportsperson
  • on a short-term student visa
  • on a Parent of a Child Student visa
  • on a seasonal worker visa
  • on a domestic worker in a private household visa
  • on immigration bail
  • if granted permission to remain outside the immigration rules


Further information, help, and advice's team of specialists has over 30 years of experience in immigration services, and have helped thousands of people to study and work in the UK. We work with OISC registered advisers who can submit your UK visa application to the Home Office.

For more information and advice on UK immigration law and UK visa applications please contact us on 0344 991 9222 or at