Temporary Work Government Authorised Exchange visa

Section Menu

show hide

Temporary Work Government Authorised Exchange visa

Temporary Work Government Authorised Exchange visa, formerly Tier 5 visa, is for people coming to the UK to do various work experience, training, and research activities through approved schemes that aim to share knowledge, experience and best practice.

Approved Government Authorised Exchange work is permitted in a range of different occupations.  The sponsor must be on the list of Government Authorised Exchange scheme sponsors.   Sponsors offer schemes in a number of areas including in the technology sector, law, graduate trainees, engineering, etc,  You are also allowed to work in a second job for up to 20 hours per week. 

In order to apply under this category you must have a valid Termporary Work certificate of sponsorship from a licensed sponsor organisation on the list of approved Government Authorised Exchange Scheme sponsors.

Length of stay

Usually until one month after the period of work stated on your certificate of sponsorship. This visa can be extended to 1 year for those doing work experience, and 2 years for those doing research, training, or studying on an Overseas Government Language Program.


Temporary Work Government Authorised Exchange visa applicants must have funds of at least £1,270 unless the Temporary Work sponsor can guarantee their maintenance with the UK Home Office. Sponsors are usually 'A rated' sponsors and so should be able to do this.

Further information, help, and advice

Workpermit.com’s team of specialists has over 30 years of experience in visa services, helping thousands of people to study and work in the UK and other countries. We work with OISC registered advisers who can help with your UK visa application to the Home Office.

For more information and advice on UK immigration law and UK visa applications please contact us on 0344 991 9222 or email us at london@workpermit.com