Call for paid service +44 (0)344-991-9222

Temporary Work visa

Section Menu

show hide

Temporary Work Visa Overview (formerly known as Tier 5 visa)

The Temporary Work visa allows entry to work in the UK in a number of different circumstances, such as for charity workers, entertainers, diplomatic staff, and sportspeople. Most Temporary Work workers need a job offer from a licensed Temporary Work sponsor in the UK, but people from one of the small number of Countries whose nationals can come under the Youth Mobility Scheme can gain entry without a job offer.

Temporary Work visa categories:

  • Temporary Work Charity Workers visa For workers who have an unpaid/voluntary job offer and a certificate of sponsorship from a UK charity with a valid Temporary Work sponsorship licence. The job taken must be directly related to the sponsor charity's work.

  • Temporary Work Creative visa For very highly skilled workers who have a job offer as a creative worker - such as a musician or actor - in the UK, and a certificate of sponsorship from a UK employer with a valid Temporary Work sponsorship licence. Sportspeople on this visa must be internationally established at the highest level in their sport, and/or their job must make a significant contribution to the development and running of sport at the highest level.

  • Temporary Work Government Authorised Exchange visa For workers coming to the UK through an approved government authorised exchange scheme. This visa allows the worker to do work experience, training, academic research or a fellowship, and to take part in an Overseas Government Language Programme.

  • Temporary Work International Agreement visa For workers who have a job offer that is covered by international law, such as embassy and diplomatic household workers, and a certificate of sponsorship from an organisation with a valid Temporary Work sponsorship licence. This includes workers under the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS) and similar agreements.

  • Temporary Work Religious Worker visa For workers offered a job, such as preaching or work in a monastery or convent, by a religious order in the UK.

  • Temporary Work Youth Mobility Scheme visa For workers aged 18 - 30 from a limited number of countries who wish to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years. This scheme replaced the Working Holiday visa, though it's important to note that far fewer people gain entry under the new scheme.


Temporary Work visa applicants must provide several documents with their application, these include:

  • Current passport and/or other travel documents

  • A separate passport photograph

  • Proof that they can meet the maintenance funds requirements for their visa, such as bank statements

  • A clear tuberculosis (TB) test result letter, if the applicant is from one of the countries on the Home Office's TB testing list, found here (link).

Family members (dependants)

In some cases, you can bring your partner or children with you during your stay, but you must show that you have sufficient funds to provide for them. They will be able to apply under a family visa, please see our UK Family Visas page (link) for more details.

English language requirement

Termporary Work visa applicants may be required to complete an English test if they are not nationals of an English-speaking country or have not completed any academic courses in English.

Further Information, Help, and Advice's team of specialists has over 30 years of experience in immigration services, and have helped thousands of people to study and work in the UK. We work with OISC registered advisers who can submit your UK visa application to the Home Office to be dealt with on the same day.

For more information and advice on UK immigration law and UK visa applications please contact us on 0344 991 9222 or at