Who needs a UK Skilled Worker visa or other work visa?

Section Menu

show hide

The following categories of people can take up any lawful employment in the UK and do not need a work permit, such as a Skilled Worker visa or Tier 2 visa holder:

  • Those with Indefinite Leave To Remain in the UK (Permanent Residence)

  • Those with EU pre-settled or settled status in the UK.  

  • Spouses of holders of certain UK visas, such as the Tier 2 visa for skilled workers, Tier 1 Investor visa, Representative of an Overseas business Visa, Ancestry Visa, or Tier 4 Student visa.

  • Commonwealth citizens with ancestry visas (sometimes called patriality) – these visas are available to Commonwealth citizens with a grandparent born in the UK. They should be applied for by the candidate at the British High Commission in their home country. They are usually issued for a period of four years; after four years in the UK the candidate is generally eligible for permanent residence.

  • Asylum seekers who have been granted the right to work in the UK.

  • Those in the UK on a visa as the 'partner' of the holder of the Skilled Worker visa, Tier 2 visa, Tier 1 Investor visa, Representative of an Overseas business Visa, Ancestry Visa, Student visa, or Tier 4 visa. You should have been co-habiting for at least two years prior to the visa application.

Further information, help, and advice

Workpermit.com's team of specialists has over 30 years of experience in international immigration services, and have helped thousands of people to study and work in the UK. We work with OISC registered advisers who can submit your UK visa application to the Home Office.

For more information and advice on UK immigration law and UK visa applications please contact us on 0344 991 9222 or at london@workpermit.com