Call for paid service +44 (0)344-991-9222

Youth Mobility Scheme visa

Section Menu

show hide

Youth Mobility Scheme visa

The youth mobility scheme visa is for young people from 18 to 30 years of age from a limited number of countries and territories who want to come and experience life in the UK. There are an unlimited number of visas available for nationals of the "Old Commonwealth" countries Australia and New Zealand, as well as for nationals of Monaco. There are quotas for nationals of the Asian countries on the list.  

This is a good visa for young people eager to experience living and working in the UK. The Youth Mobility visa allows young people from a limited number of countries entry to live and work in the UK for up to two years. However, there are only a relatively small number of countries whose nationals are eligible to apply for the Youth Mobility visa category; These are detailed below.

Participating countries and territories

You can apply for a UK Youth Mobility Scheme visa if you are between 18 and 30, and are from one of these countries:

Prospective Youth Mobility visa applicants who are nationals of Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, and Hong Kong will need to be picked from an annual lottery for the available visas.

You can also apply under the scheme if you are aged between 18 and 30, and a:

  • British overseas citizen

  • British overseas territories citizen, or

  • British national (overseas)

In these cases, applicants will not need a sponsor, and there is no limit on the number of places on the scheme.

Terms and conditions of entry as a Youth Mobility visa holder

  • You can work in almost any type of employment.
  • You can be self-employed and set up a company as long as your premises are not owned by you and your equipment is not worth more than £5,000.  You also should not have any employees
  • You should not work as a professional sportsperson (for example as a coach).
  • You can only work as a doctor or dentist in training if you can show you qualified in the UK

The Youth mobility Scheme is closed to people who;

  • Have children under 18 who you are financially responsible for, or who live with you

  • Have previous travelled to the UK through the scheme, or the old working holiday visa (now closed)

Length of stay

Up to 2 years


Youth Mobility visa applicants must have funds of at least £2,530

UK visa information, help, and advice has over thirty years of experience in immigration services, and have helped thousands of people to study and work in the UK. works with OISC registered advisers to help with UK visa applications.

For more information and advice on UK immigration law and UK visa applications please contact us on 0344 991 9222 or at