Call for paid service +44 (0)344-991-9222

UK Family Visas

Section Menu

show hide

If you are an individual intending to immigrate to the UK with your family, can help. This guide will give you an overview of the main options available before you discuss the details of your position with one of our professional advisers.

Please note that if you are a corporation or an individual interested in work visas, student visas, or visas for businesspeople, you can find the information you need on our UK Business and Work Visas page, and our UK Student Visas page.

Family Visa Types

Family visas allow certain family members and dependants of people who already have another type of UK visa to join them in the UK, Different types of UK family visas cover most family members. Married or civil partners, unmarried partners, children, grandchildren, parents, and dependent adult relatives are all covered by UK family visas, and in some cases extended family members may be able to enter the UK as well.

  • Family of a Settled Person visa For family members of British citizens and those with permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain in the UK. Family members covered by this visa include married or civil partners, unmarried partners, children, parents, and dependent adult relatives.

  • EEA Family Permit For those from outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) with an EEA national family member that is either already living in the UK, or planning to travel with them to the UK within 6 months. The visa applicant must apply for this visa from outside of the UK; if they is already in the UK they should apply for another type of family visa instead. Family members covered by this visa include married and civil partners, unmarried partners, children, grandchildren, and dependent parents and grandparents. Family members of the EEA citizen's married or civil partner are also covered by this visa.

  • UK Residence Card Similar to the EEA Family Permit, but with slightly different conditions. This visa allows family members and extended family members of a European Economic Area (EEA) national, who is either a permanent UK resident or a 'qualified person', to join them in the UK. Family members covered by this visa include married or civil partners, children, grandchildren, and dependent adult relatives. You must apply as an extended family member if you are an unmarried partner or other relative, such as a sibling. This visa must be applied for from inside of the UK.

  • Parent of a Tier 4 Child visa For parents of children aged under 12 who are studying at an independent fee paying UK school. The child must either hold a Tier 4 (Child) Student visa or be in the UK under the immigration rules in place before March 31st, 2009.

Further information, help, and advice

The laws on UK immigration and nationality are highly complex for obtaining a UK family visa, with different family visa types for different family members, and different conditions depending on your status in the UK.'s team of specialists has over 25 years of experience in immigration services, and have helped thousands of people to bring their family members to the UK. We work with OISC registered advisers who can submit your UK visa application to the Home Office to be dealt with on the same day.

For more information on UK immigration law and UK visa applications please contact us on 0344 991 9222 or at