Who needs a UK Tier 2 Work Visa or other visa?

Section Menu

show hide

The following categories of people can take up any lawful employment in the UK and do not need a work permit, such as a Tier 2 Visa for skilled migrants. All others will need to apply for a UK work permit:

  • Nationals of European Economic Area (EEA) countries. The EEA is comprised of the 28 European Union (EU) member states as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway. The 28 EU member states are:

    • Austria

    • Belgium

    • Bulgaria

    • Croatia

    • the Republic of Cyprus

    • Czech Republic

    • Denmark, Estonia

    • Finland

    • France

    • Germany

    • Greece

    • Hungary

    • Ireland

    • Italy

    • Latvia

    • Lithuania

    • Luxembourg

    • Malta

    • the Netherlands

    • Poland

    • Portugal

    • Romania

    • Slovakia

    • Slovenia

    • Spain

    • Sweden

    • the United Kingdom

  • Those with Indefinite Leave To Remain in the UK (Permanent Residence)

  • Those in the UK as the spouse of an EEA national

  • Spouses of holders of certain UK visas, such as the Tier 2 visa for skilled workers, Tier 1 Investor visa, Representative of an Overseas business Visa, Ancestry Visa, or Tier 4 Student visa.

  • Commonwealth citizens with ancestry visas (sometimes called patriality) – these visas are available to Commonwealth citizens with a grandparent born in the UK. They should be applied for by the candidate at the British High Commission in their home country. They are usually issued for a period of four years; after four years in the UK the candidate is generally eligible for permanent residence.

  • Those with pending claims for Asylum in the UK.

  • Those in the UK on a visa as the 'partner' of an EEA national, or a holder of the Tier 2 visa for skilled workers, Tier1 Investor visa, Representative of an Overseas business Visa, Ancestry Visa, or Tier 4 Student visa. These visas are issued in cases where the partners are not legally allowed to marry (for example because one or both of them are married to someone else) and have been co-habiting for at least two years prior to the visa application.

Further information, help, and advice

Workpermit.com's team of specialists has over 25 years of experience in immigration services, and have helped thousands of people to study and work in the UK. We work with OISC registered advisers who can submit your UK visa application to the Home Office to be dealt with on the same day.

For more information and advice on UK immigration law and UK visa applications please contact us on 0344 991 9222 or at london@workpermit.com